Skip to main content

Get User connections to a share

I have always put this one in the "I'll get round to it" pile.  Today, I have finally got round to it!

You can quite easily determine who is connected to a Windows Server by going to Computer Manager and choosing shared folders - sessions.  You can also see how many people are connected to a share by going to Computer Manager and choosing shared folders - shares.  What i want to know is WHO is connected to each share.  I have had quite a big reason to do this recently and so I have finally got round to creating a powershell 2 function to do precicely that!

It will accept 2 parameters, a servername and an optional sharename to return only the connections from a particular share. 

Regards

Adam

function get-shareConnection {
#generate the help file
<# .SYNOPSIS Get the current users that are connected to shares on a server .DESCRIPTION Get the current users that are connected to shares on a server. This can be filtered to a specific share. .NOTES Function Name : get-shareConnection Author : Adam Stone Requires : PowerShell V2 .LINK http://adadmin.blogspot.com .EXAMPLE Simple usage - get all connections for all shares on server1 PS C:\> get-shareConnection -server Server1
.EXAMPLE
Simple usage - get all connections for the users share on server1
PS C:\> get-shareConnection -server Server1 -sharename users
.EXAMPLE
Simple usage - get all connections for the users share on server1 (using positional parameters)
PS C:\>; get-shareConnection Server1 users
.PARAMETER server
The servername to connect to.
.PARAMETER sharename
optional sharename to return users connected to this share
#>

#parameter validataion
param (
[Parameter(Position=0, Mandatory=$true,HelpMessage="Please enter a server name")]
[string] $Server = ""
,
[Parameter(Position=1,Mandatory=$false)]
[alias("share")]
[string] $sharename = "all"
)
#the processes the function will complete
process {
$serverconnection = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $Server -Class Win32_SessionConnection

$users = @()
foreach ($connection in $serverconnection){
$conn = "" | select "ip","user","share"
$split = $connection.Dependent.split(",")
$conn.ip = $split[0].replace("Win32_ServerConnection.computername=","").replace('"','')
$conn.user = $split[2].replace("UserName=","").replace('"','')
$conn.share = $split[1].replace("sharename=","").replace('"','')
if ($sharename -eq "all"){$users += $conn}
else{if ($conn.share -eq $sharename){$users += $conn}}
}
return $users
}

}#end function

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assigning Permissions - AGDLP

AGDLP It seems I have been mildly distracted away from the title of this blog site.   It does say AD Admin, but I seem to have been taken away by file system stuff.   I have to say, it has all been worthwhile, but it’s probably time I got back to the real heart of what I do. There are probably a million permission assigning advice pages, but I thought I would put another one out there after referring to AGDLP in my last post. So, what is this all about – AGDLP.   Well, it is something I learned in my MCSE 2003 studies and has become ingrained into my ideals since.   As a contractor, I get to move job often.   This enables me to forge opinions on how to configure things in a domain, and more importantly how NOT to configure things. AGDLP is definitely on the to do list…for anyone in any size domain or forest, as it follows some very basic principals.   I will explain these whilst I go through what AGDPL stands for. A A is for...

Updated : V0.992 Filesystem Powershell module

Update : version 0.992  now available including DFS-r Hot on the heals of my AD sites module , I have been looking at some file system functions.  This module is driven primarily by my own needs, but after a prompt on the powergui website from someone after a way of managing DFS with powershell (thanks packetboy), this is what I have come up with.  All help files are included with examples, but I will publish the help and examples over time. Requirements This module has been built on a Windows 2008 R2 platform and therefore the DFS functions will be based around the 2008 R2 version of DFSUTIL.  This is not to say that it is not compatible with anything earlier, it has just not been tested. Installation and use Download the zip file and extract to your modules folder. This can be found by running "explorer $pshome\modules" from a PowerShell console. To use, run "import-module Filesystem" Command list and Help To retrieve the list of comma...

Finding out what 'SearchFlags' are set on you AD attributes

Whilst doing some research into indexed attributes, I posted this  a while back on how to find your index attributes.  Since then, I have looked a little deeper into what indexing really means and found this excellent explanation on the numbers that can be found in the searchflags attribute of a schema object. Using Florian’s reference, I built the following script (which is both powershell v1 and v2 compatible) to get the schema attributes from the forest schema and return (among other things) the breakdown of your attributes search flags. $forest = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.forest]::getcurrentforest() $schema = [ADSI]('LDAP://CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,dc=' + ($($forest).name -replace "[.]",",dc=")) $attributes = $schema.psbase.children | where {$_.objectClass -eq "attributeSchema"} $collection = @() foreach ($attr in $attributes){ $store = "" | select "Name","lDAPDisplayName","singlev...