Skip to main content

Get-ADDomainController - AD Cmdlets Reference

Get-ADDomainController

Get-ADDomainController is useful to easily return all, or a subset of your domain controllers.  This can be easily filtered by type, OS, AD Site, or a number of other values.

Example usage


#get all read only DC's
Get-ADDomainController -filter {isreadonly -eq $true}
# get the domain controller DC1
Get-ADDomainController -identity "DC1"
# get the PDCE for the domain
Get-ADDomainController -Discover -Service "PrimaryDC"}
# get a GC but force it to rediscover (clear any cached DC)
Get-ADDomainController -Discover -Service "GlobalCatalog" -ForceDiscover



Define the parameters

Identity takes a range of identifiers for the object. These include "Distinguished Name", "GUID", "SID", and "samaccountname".

Service takes the following :
PrimaryDC or 1
GlobalCatalog or 2
KDC or 3
TimeService or 4
ReliableTimeService or 5
ADWS or 6

Filter uses the format {isreadonly -eq $true} against most of the object properties.

There are more options, use get-help cmdlet for all options

In a script

For each Read / Write DC, tell me how much memory the lsass process is using in Mb.
foreach ($RWDC in $(Get-ADDomainController -filter { isreadonly -eq $false })) {
   $lsass = get-process -ComputerName $rwdc.name -Name lsass
   "Current memory usage for lsass on $($rwdc.name) is $($lsass.WorkingSet / 1mb)Mb"
}

Powershell without the Management pack
I have covered How to find a GC, here are some others :

#get all DC's in the domain
$domain = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.domain]::getcurrentdomain()
$Domain.FindAllDomainControllers()

#read only DC's
#search AD for DC's with a primary group ID of 521
#or get memebers of the group "Enterprise Read-only Domain Controllers"

#get pre-staged RODC objects
#search AD and filter DC's for useraccountcontrol value of 83890178


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Updated : V0.992 Filesystem Powershell module

Update : version 0.992  now available including DFS-r Hot on the heals of my AD sites module , I have been looking at some file system functions.  This module is driven primarily by my own needs, but after a prompt on the powergui website from someone after a way of managing DFS with powershell (thanks packetboy), this is what I have come up with.  All help files are included with examples, but I will publish the help and examples over time. Requirements This module has been built on a Windows 2008 R2 platform and therefore the DFS functions will be based around the 2008 R2 version of DFSUTIL.  This is not to say that it is not compatible with anything earlier, it has just not been tested. Installation and use Download the zip file and extract to your modules folder. This can be found by running "explorer $pshome\modules" from a PowerShell console. To use, run "import-module Filesystem" Command list and Help To retrieve the list of comma...

Assigning Permissions - AGDLP

AGDLP It seems I have been mildly distracted away from the title of this blog site.   It does say AD Admin, but I seem to have been taken away by file system stuff.   I have to say, it has all been worthwhile, but it’s probably time I got back to the real heart of what I do. There are probably a million permission assigning advice pages, but I thought I would put another one out there after referring to AGDLP in my last post. So, what is this all about – AGDLP.   Well, it is something I learned in my MCSE 2003 studies and has become ingrained into my ideals since.   As a contractor, I get to move job often.   This enables me to forge opinions on how to configure things in a domain, and more importantly how NOT to configure things. AGDLP is definitely on the to do list…for anyone in any size domain or forest, as it follows some very basic principals.   I will explain these whilst I go through what AGDPL stands for. A A is for...

Finding out what 'SearchFlags' are set on you AD attributes

Whilst doing some research into indexed attributes, I posted this  a while back on how to find your index attributes.  Since then, I have looked a little deeper into what indexing really means and found this excellent explanation on the numbers that can be found in the searchflags attribute of a schema object. Using Florian’s reference, I built the following script (which is both powershell v1 and v2 compatible) to get the schema attributes from the forest schema and return (among other things) the breakdown of your attributes search flags. $forest = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.forest]::getcurrentforest() $schema = [ADSI]('LDAP://CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,dc=' + ($($forest).name -replace "[.]",",dc=")) $attributes = $schema.psbase.children | where {$_.objectClass -eq "attributeSchema"} $collection = @() foreach ($attr in $attributes){ $store = "" | select "Name","lDAPDisplayName","singlev...